Llanon is an ancient settlement, unusually linked to two female saints - one Welsh and the other Irish. The name Llanon stems from Saint Non, the mother of St David. The full name of the settlement is Llanon Llansanffraid. Sant Ffraid is the Irish St Bridget.
Llanon - a place of saints
Llanon dates back to a charter of 1215 with which the Lord Rhys ap Grufudd, Prince of Deheubarth, gave the land to the Bishop of St David's for a chapel.
The land subsequently passed to the Cistercian monks of Strata Florida and the shoreline, like nearby Aberarth, still features their mediaeval fish traps near Llanon.
The unusual field pattern - a series of narrow strips along the shoreline - is medieval. The Ceredigion Coast path zig zags between them.
Meanwhile Llansantffraed church and land north of the river Peris was granted even earlier to the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem. Unusually this church is dedicated to another female saint namely St Bridget of Ireland reflecting the links and importance of trade across the Irish Sea.
Llanon has several distinct styles of domestic houses, ranging from cottages built of boulders, many of which were once thatched. The larger houses, built on the slopes above the coastal plain, are the elegant houses built by the many seacaptains who chose to retire to this pleasant stretch of the west Wales coast.