Ceredigion's entertaining and exciting programme of events means that there's always something to do and see. We take fun seriously. Our cultural heritage is brought to life with exciting street theatre, and we celebrate everything from our magnificent horses to the humble mackerel, and good food and music is a way of life. We'll see you there!
Ceredigion's busy event calendar- all year round
You'll discover a full calendar of events, from colourful community carnivals, summer shows and Christmas pantomimes to top class music concerts and festivals of art, as well as an exciting programme of sporting events to watch or take part in.
Here are some of the forthcoming highlights of the Ceredigion calendar, month by month - click on the links for more information. These, and other events can be found on the Discover Ceredigion Facebook Page events listing too.
- Red Kite Challenge, half marathon and walking event, Devil's Bridge (4)
- Arklow Ireland to Aberystwyth Celtic Challenge rowing race (3-5)
- Agor Drysau-Opening Doors: Wales International Festival of Performing Arts (16-23)
- Tregaron Trotting Club harness racing spring meet
- New Quay Yacht Club RYA 'Push the Boat Out' (9)
- Aberystwyth 5k and 10k Race for Life (12)
- Spirit Tri / Kids Aquathon, Tregaron
- Tregaroc music festival, Tregaron (18)
- Walk, Jog or Run Challenge: Aberaeron to Lampeter(18)
- Welsh MTB CX Series at Aberystwyth
- Harness racing at Synod Inn with Welsh Trotting
- Cardigan Classic Car club show (26)
- Aberystwyth Cycle Festival (18-27): films, pub night, family and breeze rides
- Aberystwyth Cycle Festival - audax (18)
- Aberystwyth Cycle Festival - time trials (22)
- Aberystwyth Cycle Festival - BMX display and skills workshop (23)
- Aberystwyth Cycle Festival - criterium races, including Welsh championships (25)
- Aberystwyth Cycle Festival - Conquer the Cliff MTB (25)
- Aberystwyth Cycle Festival - sportives (26)
- Aberystwyth Cycle Festival - Uphill Challenge (27)
- May steaming at Musuem of Internal Fire
- Shearing day at NT Llanerchaeron (25)
- Aberystwyth Marina Day on the Quay
- May Bank Holiday Steaming at Museum of Internal Fire (26,27)
- Ceredigion Garden and Craft Festival,Aberaeron
- Fire in the Mountain music festival (31- 2 June)
Ceredigion’s landscape and climate lend themselves to all kinds of exciting sporting events from the shores of Cardigan Bay to the slopes of the Cambrian Mountains. You can sign up to take part or join the crowd to cheer on the competitors. However you decide to participate, you are guaranteed good company and an opportunity to make the most of the great outdoors.
Music, Literature and Performance
Ceredigion is a musical county. Aberystwyth alone is home to a dozen choirs and musical ensembles. Big stars regularly visit Aberystwyth Arts Centre on tour and there's plenty of choice from folk to classical, rock and jazz to world music. Ceredigion's music festivals not only have good music to enjoy, but take place in superb settings along the coast or tucked away in the hills.
The National Library of Wales exhibitions draw on its vast collections of documents, paintings and objects and has a regular programme of talks and concerts. Aberystwyth is also home to the Ceredigion Museum, which has an eclectic programme of events throughout the year. Just around the corner is Canolfan Arad Goch centre and Aberystwyth bandstand, a new building taking pride of place on the Aberystwyth Promenade which has a popular summer programme of music, performance, art and craft and community events.
Pick up programmes for arts centres and festivals at the Ceredigion Tourist Information Centres or click on the images below to go to the individual venues or festivals' own websites:
Aberystwyth - a cultural centre
With the National Library of Wales and Aberystwyth University playing a big part in the town's cultural life, there's everything from cutting edge comedy and edgy contemporary art to classical music, historic art collections and an interesting programme of talks and exhibitions to to enjoy and explore.
There's a monthly Science Cafe too from autumn through to spring.
There are also unique festivals including ceramics, film and photography, literature and theatre. They include internationally focused events which have made Aberystwyth their home, having grown from specialist get-togethers to popular public events. The Aberystwyth Comedy Festival is held at various venues around town, with big names and the best shows.
As well as at the Aberystwyth Arts Centre, there are regular exhibitions and events at the School of Art in town and at the Old College on the seafront. Both are beautiful and distinctive buildings too.
The Arts in Cardigan and the Teifi Valley
Cardigan is also a creative town with concerts and events taking place at Theatr Mwldan arts centre, Small World Theatre, Cardigan Castle, The Guildhall and several other venues around town, including The Cellar Bar, Pizza Tipi and .
Being a market and university town, Lampeter has an interesting mix of activities and events from food and drink festivals, craft exhibitions, agricultural and equine shows, and an eclectic music scene at the town's Victoria Hall
The arts are alive and well at Llandysul too with the Pwerdy/Powerhouse overlooking the river Teifi being the place to enjoy art and music.
Check locally for posters for events taking place at village halls, from summer or pantomime shows at Aberaeron or New Quay Memorial Halls, or special events at the Pafiliwn at Pontrhydfendigaid.
Hear the Welsh language
Ceredigion has a strong tradition of community theatre production, much of it through
the medium of Welsh, with a wide range of performance from Young Farmers' lighthearted comedy sketches and pantomime to site specific performances interpreting the area's heritage and multi media productions dealing with contemporary country life.
Theatr Felinfach near Aberaeron produces Welsh language theatre and hosts concerts and touring performances, whilst Canolfan Arad Goch is a leading centre in Aberystwyth for lively youth theatre and performance. There are regular Welsh language music and theatre performances at Aberystwyth Arts Centre and Theatr Mwldan.
Music is an universal language, celebrated annually in February on Dydd Miwsic Cymraeg and Welsh music - traditional and contemporary - can be heard at music festivals such as Tregaroc in Tregaron and Gwyl Nol a Mlan in Llangrannog, whilst the Banstand on Aberystwyth is a great venue, with the audience often spilling out onto the promenade when popular Welsh artists perform.
Art and craft
Make sure you explore the Ceredigion Art Trail in August - the open studio event is a great way to explore the countryside of Ceredigion, meet interesting people and buy unique pieces of art.
Ceredigion’s craftmakers hold regular craft fairs at Aberystwyth, Aberaeron and other venues across the county and beyond.
There are also galleries across Ceredigion that have changing exhibitions of art and craft, including the Corn Exchange at the Guildhall in Cardigan, Rhiannon's in Tregaron and Aberaeron Tourist Information Centre.
Food, countryside, walking and wildlife events
Ceredigion has a proud agricultural, livestock and horse breeding tradition which manifests itself today in shows, parades and festivals.
Visit Llanerchaeron (NT) where there are all kinds of activities including sheep shearing day, Apple Day, and the ever popular Christmas craft fair. A season of food festivals highlight the best of Ceredigion’s country and coastal produce.
Why not plan to visit for one of Ceredigion's friendly walking festivals to explore our beautiful and varied landscape in the best of company.
Check what events are taking place at wildlife reserves from wildlife spotting walks and talks but also craft and other activity, especially during school holidays.
Plan ahead for forthcoming events
Many of our events are annual favourites, whilst some festivals take place every two years. Dates may vary slightly - sometimes it depends on holiday dates and when the dates falls within the week, or it may even depend on the tide!
Please use the links to check venue and event organisers websites or social media for updates.
- Intensive Welsh course for learners at Aberystwyth University (29 July - 23)
- Cardigan County Show (3)
- New Quay Music Festival (2-4)
- Tresaith mariners annual sailing regatta (3,4)
- Aberaeron Beer and Cider Festival (9,10)
- Aberaeron open tennis tournament
- Borth Beach 10K
- Harness racing with Welsh Trotting at Talsarn in the Aeron valley
- Sea2Shore Festival, Aberystwyth (11)
- Aberaeron Festival of Welsh Ponies and Cobs (11)
- Aeron Valley Model Railway Exhibition, Llwyncelyn, Aberaeron
- Llandysul River Festival (14-18)
- Cardigan Bay Regatta, New Quay (22-24)
- Cardigan River and Food Festival (17)
- Angela Davies Memorial Road Race - cycling, Aberystwyth
- Harness Racing Festival, Tregaron
- Mackerel Fiesta, Aberaeron
- Aberaeron Rugby 7s festival (23-25)
- Big Tribute Festival Aberystwyth (23-25)
- Aberaeron Carnival (26)
- Cardigan Quays Festival weekend
- Tregaron Festival of harness racing incl Welsh Classic, Little Welsh Dragon
- Day on the Quay at New Quay(22)
- United Kingdom F18 Catamaran National championships at Tresaith (24-26)
- August Bak Holiday Steaming at Museum of Internal Fire ( 25,26)
- Ice skating at Aberystwyth Winter Wonderland
- 'Hen Galan', Llandysul
- Aberystwyth Arts Centre pantomime
- St Dwynwen Day (Welsh patron saint of love) (25)